Sunday, July 6, 2014

So, did you miss me?

So, did you all miss me?

I've actually been thinking for quite some time about reviving this blog, writing again about television, what I love, what I think and hopefully offering some advice. So, now seemed as good a time as any to get back. But first, some background and forecasting.

To start, the blog stopped simply due to me running out of time while I was working to finish my education. I am happy to report that I return with a BA in history. Admittedly, it does not in any way, shape or form make me an expert, but at least I have a foundation to speak on now that I did not have back in 2010 and 2011 when I was first writing.

Second, the frequency is going to change on the blog. Originally, I was doing an entry a day. Pretty ambitious, but now unrealistic given I am working five out of seven days of the week. So, as of right now, you can expect a posting at least every Sunday morning, possibly Saturday evening. That is, unfortunately, the best I can manage right now.

Third, when I started this back in 2010, things like Netflix were just starting to do more digital presentations. Since then, with Hulu, Warner Archive and the WWE Network all launching, far more television content is available online, as much as is on DVD and Blu-Ray. The vision of the blog was to document television history as presented on DVD and Blu-Ray, but to ignore the digital market really is a disservice. So, here is how it will be addressed - I will remain focused on DVD and Blu-Ray, but I will mention digital media in terms of availability. It will remain television on DVD in name, but nods will be given so everyone knows their options.

Fourth, as of right now, I am at least considering doing more blog work, possibly in other media. I have not reached a firm decision on this as yet, but I will keep you all informed on future writings and efforts.

Finally, I will be picking up from where I left off. There have been a lot of shows added in the years I have been gone, chief among them complete runs of The Gene Autry Show and The Lone Ranger. I’ve decided in the interests of time and to regain my footing, to say nothing of protecting my wallet, to forge ahead and, if new shows come up, I’ll address those mixed in with other programs to keep from gutting with all one program.

I’m also aware that not every show is for everyone. Folks who read the blog for I Love Lucy may not be the target audience for Tales of Tomorrow or The Lone Ranger. That being said, they all are part of the television picture and the time frame. And who knows, maybe with my thoughts, I can gain some converts.

So, what is the plan going forward? For now, I want to finish the 1951 calendar year, mostly a mix of what we have been working on (Cisco Kid, Tales of Tomorrow, I Love Lucy, et al.) plus the mid year programs with the addition of The Roy Rogers Show. As for adding new shows to the line up, I’m on the fence as to doing mid-year additions heading into 1952 or waiting for the 1952-53 television season. I’m open to thoughts on this.

So, next time… we will saddle up and ride with The Cisco Kid. Until then, it’s good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment