Monday, July 7, 2014

Audience Interest Poll

I know, I know, I promised only weekly updates going forward, but I’ve been meditating and I have two things on my mind.

First of, posting frequency. I’m thinking right now of doing posts every Saturday and Sunday. I know when I get on a good tear of research and writing, I can go for a while. So why just limit myself to a half hour or hour of television a week? This will NOT in any way shape or form lead to daily posts again, I am just too busy for that. But, if I am having fun and enjoying what I write, why not do it more often? So, as of right now, expect an update on Saturday and Sunday going forward.

Secondly, I have an eye toward the future. My library is pretty good, but I am always on the lookout for new shows to add to the mix, create a more concise view of television in a given period. My limitation right now is funds. So I have to be careful on what I invest in. Besides, why invest in a show no one has any real interest in reading about? So, I’ve decided to poll the jury, my readers, and see where interest lies. Based on the results of the poll will dictate shows going forward, at least for the remainder of the 1951-52 television season I am focusing on right now.

So, here are our candidates. Be aware, any shows prior to 1951-52, I will backtrack to eventually. maybe in between television seasons.

  • Choice 1 - The Howdy Doody Show. I really have not done children’s programming on the blog up until now and given popularity over time, this is a good trial balloon for more kid’s stuff in the future.
  • Choice 2 - Kukla, Fran and Ollie. Another kid’s show, but still at least somewhat known. Again, measuring interest now and for the future.
  • Choice 3 - The Gene Autry Show. I focused on Autry heavily in the early days of the blog and, now with the complete series available, it’s logical to come back to it. However, it is a show I am not sure if my audience is that interested in coming back to Autry, given the show rarely averaged above twenty views every post. To invest in a show that still has three years in it and have that level of interest does not make a ton of sense. But, never know.
  • Choice 4 - Cavalcade of Stars: Honeymooners segments. This is what leads into The Honeymooners proper show in a few years. I am just not sure if the audience is as strong for the 15 minute bits as it will be for the single season show, especially given this will be spread out substantially.
  • Choice 5 - Dragnet. This is the classic 1950s version of the show, with only about 20-25 episodes out there in the public domain right now. I have zero problem tracking them down, I just am testing audience mood to see if it is worth doing.

So, those are the options. I’ll need actual replies to the blog to know where the mood lies, so please reply with your choice. I’ll cut off the poll at post time on Saturday, around noon Eastern Standard time. So please, cast your vote!

Thanks all! See you all next time!

5 comments: