Saturday, July 12, 2014

We have a winner!

So, with the polls closed, we have a winner in our reader interest poll. And I must say, the results are really fascinating to me. So, in addition to announcing, I'll analyze and announce my plans based on the poll. We did have a few people who voted more than one choice, which honestly did not impact the vote. The winner still won, pretty commandingly. All it did was tie second place really, if you added second choices to the total.

So, I did. Let's get to the results, from last to first.

In last place, with no votes, was the Cavalcade of Stars: Honeymooners segments. I admit some surprise here, given I know the Honeymooners have their fans. But, apparently, right now, the interest is not there. Or at least, people wanted to see other shows reviewed more. So be it.

In fourth place, with one vote, was Kukla, Fran and Ollie. This one is not a huge shock, since it is a kid's show and pretty unknown outside of 50s and 60s television fans.

There is no third place due to a tie for second place.

In second place, tied with two votes each, is The Gene Autry Show and Howdy Doody. I would have thought Autry would have gotten second outright or done stronger since I have reviewed it before. Then again, those Autry reviews never cracked more than 20 views a page. Might be a message in that somewhere. I still like the show fine and may come back to it, but again, depends on interest. As for Howdy Doody, he clearly has name recognition and he's a pretty big part of television history, but I think it's that a kid's show has hurt it in this round.

And finally, and rather commandingly, we have our winner.

With nine votes, the winner is Dragnet (1950s).

Dragnet never trailed this poll. From the day I launched the poll, it lead and just left everyone in it's wake. Even when the poll was expanded to other locations due to Google sign ups being needed to post responses to the poll, it was Dragnet all the way.

I am actually surprisingly delighted by the results. I was not sure if there was interest based on only 20 to 25 episodes available out of close to 200 produced. But clearly, the audience has spoken. Only wish Universal was listening because I would love to be doing the complete run. And to own it, for that matter.

So, I have made two decisions based on the poll. First, and most obviously, Dragnet will be the next show I am picking up to add to my review block. We will be getting to it in the not too distant future as we come up to it chronologically. I will backtrack and do the pilot as soon as the set arrives.

Second, due to the success of the poll and how I hope my audience grows as I begin posting reviews again, I will be doing audience polls for future shows to review in the future. The way it will work is if I don't have it and the show is in production, it's eligible for a poll. I'll do the polls twice "annually" during the television season - once at the end of a calendar year, once before a new television season starts. Based on the results will help determine where my money goes in investing on future shows. It helps especially for unknown quantities and for what my audience wants to read about.

There we have it then. Dragnet is in, everyone else is subject to review. Oh, by the way, Dragnet is NOT the only new program being added for review. Stay tuned, as they say. :)

Thanks again, everyone who voted! 

No comments:

Post a Comment