Monday, February 28, 2011

I Love Lucy: Lucy is Jealous of Girl Singer

Not feeling well today, so I apologize for this being late or not up to usual standards.

I Love Lucy: Lucy Is Jealous of Girl Singer

Originally broadcast on CBS on Monday, December 17, 1951 at 9 PM ET.

Plot: Lucy is worried she is losing Ricky to a girl singer at the club after reading a publicity article in the paper.

Analysis: This particular episode does not really pick up steam until the end, but the final scenes in the club are a scream. But then again, that is par for the course for Lucy and Desi and speaks well of their ability to play off of each other.

A note on image quality: some scenes may look a little soft but that is because for syndication, some cuts were usually made either to cut advertisements or for run time. The DVD has restored the edits, but they are noticeable.

Also of note for those of you who have I Love Lucy: The Complete Series set: there is a special Phillip Morris Christmas ad hidden as an Easter Egg on the bonus disc of the set. It’s under the “I Love Lucy” heart when the menu screen for the On-Screen Ad during the premiere episode and it originally ran between the end of the nightclub scene and the coda in the Ricardos’ bedroom. It is actually a nice way to see how the ads originally fit into the episodes, making it worth seeking out just for that. It should also be included on the I Love Lucy: The Movie DVD, since it is the same disc, but I do not have the single release, so I hope someone who does can confirm this.

The Bottom Line: It’s Lucy, it’s funny and it’s a classic. Hate to be so succinct, but with a show like this, it really has just about been covered.

The episode itself can be found on I Love Lucy: The Complete First Season (http://www.amazon.com/Love-Lucy-Complete....98759503&sr=1-3), but to be sure to get everything I was talking about (episode and commercial), you will probably need I Love Lucy: The Complete Series (http://www.amazon.com/I-Love-Lucy-Comple....98759503&sr=1-1). That is, of course, unless someone out there has the I Love Lucy movie DVD and can confirm my suspicions.

Next time, another ride with The Cisco Kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment