Thursday, September 16, 2010

Special Comment on TV on DVD


First time I’m trying one of these, interested in the feedback.

And now… a special comment.

I got word today that in their plans for the 2010 Holiday seasons, Best Buy stores in the United States are planning on cutting the floor space normally allocated for CDs and DVDs in favor of space for tablet PCs, 3D HDTVs and other newer technologies.

So, why should we be interested? Well, it means it is now going to be harder to find some of the lower profile DVD releases, especially most TV on DVD, on store shelves, at least at Best Buy these days. It’s sadly ironic that by cutting space to sell higher ticket items, Best Buy may actually be forcing more of the consumer base onto the Internet to find what they want, which, in turn, will impact sales.

Of course, in this day and age of the new technologies and toys out there, it should come as no surprise that something that is, sadly, a bit of a niche hobby like TV on DVD is going to be threatened. To be sure, it’s not going away completely, but you’re going to be more likely to find a Blu-Ray of the movie that came out two months ago on a shelf than you will a copy of, say, Father Knows Best.

In that sense, maybe WB and Shout! are smart by moving to On Demand services since, instead of competing for shrinking space on the shelves. On the other hand, it can be argued that actually selling these products is also hard. Even in the TV on DVD world, consumers are more likely to get a complete run of Lost or Ghost Whisperer than to plunk down money for a lesser known title, especially since we’re reaching a period in time where fewer and fewer consumers have even seen a show like The Goldbergs, much less heard of it.

It’s a hard reality to swallow these days, knowing that something you follow passionately just isn’t shared by many others and is always up against the almighty bottom line, but then again, thanks to companies like Shout! and Timeless and even the bigger studios like WB that there is still a desire to make sure that a period in time and history doesn’t totally evaporate and there is still an opportunity to pass it on to future generations.

Just my thoughts tonight on a rapidly changing world, for good or ill. Here’s a link to the story I saw for your own reading: http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/company-news/best-buy-cut-cds-dvds-as-google-apple-prep-for-mus/19635476/?icid=main

2 comments:

  1. Matt:

    Nice job on the Special Comment! Do more, when the situation moves you!

    This is particularly sad for me, as Best Buy has been my primary source for DVDs. So much so, that I am in the Premiere Silver class of Best Buy Reward Zone.

    I can understand the demise of the CD, as music is not SEEN to be enjoyed – and can be played on the tiniest of devices – but no hand-held portable device can equal viewing a DVD on a large HD TV! Yet, a friend staunchly defends downloads that he can watch on a commuter train. That can have its place, I suppose, but I’m not interested in squinting at a tiny screen on a crowded train. I’d prefer to savor the experience.

    My first wake-up call regarding Best Buy was their decision not to carry VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA Season 4, Volume 1, last year. All my previous volumes came from Best Buy.

    Since then, there were other marginal things not available at BB – but the real shock was their not stocking the recent BUGS BUNNY and DAFFY DUCK sets!

    Yes, I said BUGS BUNNY and DAFFY DUCK! Icons of animation!

    Oddly, in response to that, I ordered the new ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE set from Amazon – and BB carried it… at a slightly lower price, to boot! Go figure.

    So, do I pre-order the upcoming ESSENTIAL BUGS BUNNY at Amazon, or assume I can use my Reward Zone Certificates and/or accumulate Reward Zone Points at BB?

    I didn’t expect them to carry THRILLER, so I went directly to Amazon for that. There, I was correct. But, I did find DRAGNET (1968) Season 2 at BB. Go figure, once again!

    I will have to get used to the idea that only the more popular, sure-sell TV DVD sets will be available at Best Buy, and go to Amazon and other sources for the rest.

    Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's the big problem, especially with Best Buy downsizing is just what they are going to carry at all these days. As I stated in the comment, only current shows or classics are "for sure" sells these days, so anything else might be seen as a risk. Plus, as stated, we are a niche market, not the main sale point.

    It's really a darn shame, but hey, if Best Buy doesn't want our money, Amazon and Deep Discount are worthy alternatives, I find. I just hope that the hobby as a whole can survive the combination of downsizing and a downturn in the US economy.

    ReplyDelete